‘Our country is very densely populated, so our quarantine efforts also have some problems’
“With an increase in the intensity of the coronavirus situation, no Bangladeshi will be brought back from China right now. However, the government will take the next step if anyone comes back on their own,” he said.
The foreign minister made the comments while addressing the press after attending a program organized by World University of Bangladesh at the National Museum in Dhaka on Tuesday.
He also said the Chinese government is providing the Bangladeshis staying in China with everything, including regular food and water, reports UNB.
The foreign minister also mentioned that the on-arrival visa facility for Chinese citizens to Bangladesh has been suspended due to the coronavirus crisis.
“Since we have friendly relations with China, on-arrival visa facilities had been provided for the Chinese people…but we have stopped it for now,” he added.
“Our country is very densely populated, so our quarantine efforts also have some problems,” Momen said while talking about those quarantined at Dhaka’s Ashkona Hajj Camp.
He also said those who are now in the quarantine centre will be kept under observation for a few more days.
Earlier, on February 1, the government, spending Tk2.3 crore, brought back 312 stranded Bangladeshis home, following the highly-contagious 2019-nCoV outbreak in the Hubei province of China, in a Biman Bangladesh special flight – Rescue Ferry Flight 7002.