23 Bangladeshis quarantined in India test negative for coronavirus
Two Bangladesh nationals, infected by the coronavirus in Singapore and undergoing treatment at a hospital there, have returned home following their recovery.
In the meantime, 23 Bangladeshis among 112 people, kept at an ITBP (Indo-Tibetan Border Police) quarantine facility in India after being evacuated from China’s Wuhan, have tested negative for coronavirus after their first samples were taken.
At a press briefing in Dhaka on Saturday, Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) Director Meerjady Sabrina Flora said two Bangladeshis infected with COVID-19 have been discharged from hospital in Singapore after a healthy recovery.
“Among the 98 patients infected with coronaviorus in Singapore, 69 were released. Currently three Bangladeshis are undergoing treatment at a Singapore hospital, including one of them in the Intensive Care Unit,” she said.
Flora said the Bangladesh Foreign Ministry is keeping close contact with missions and embassies in Singapore, Italy, and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
In the UAE, a 39-year-old Bangladeshi, who had contact with a Chinese person diagnosed with the deadly virus, is undergoing treatment and his condition is stable now.
Amid the ongoing coronavirus epidemic in mainland China spreading across the world, Bangladesh has so far screened 383,958 incoming passengers at land, sea, and airports across the country since January 21. None of them were found infected with the COVID-19.
In another development, 23 Bangladesh nationals, among 112 people who were taken to the ITBP force quarantine centre in the Chhawla neighbourhood of Delhi, have tested negative for coronavirus, reports Hindustan Times.
“The samples of all the 112 people were sent to the AIIMS and the reports are negative. The quarantine period will continue for about a fortnight,” a spokesperson for the border guarding force said on Saturday.
“The second samples of the inmates will be taken on the fourteenth day of the quarantine period and all those whose results are negative will be released from the ITBP centre,” the spokesperson added.
More than 2,900 people have died and over 85,000 have been infected worldwide since it was first detected in the central Chinese city of Wuhan late last year.