Coronavirus: 1,631 new deaths reported worldwide

284

Till now, the number of active cases stands at 224,428

Despite countries enforcing lockdowns and other measures to stop the ongoing novel coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic, the world has witnessed new deaths from the deadly infection.

According to worldometers, 1,631 new coronavirus deaths were recorded on Saturday taking the total number of deaths from Covid-19 across the world to 14,638 on Monday.

On Sunday, 32,440 new cases were reported taking the total number of Covid-19 cases across the world to 337,430.

Till now, the number of active cases stands at 224,428.

Of the active case, 214,601, or 95%, were identified to be in mild condition while the rest 10,649, or 5%, have been marked as serious or critical.

At the same time, 98,364 people from across the world have recovered fully from the infection or were discharged from treatment.

In January, China effectively shut down Wuhan and placed its 11 million residents in effective quarantine after the novel coronavirus infection turned into outbreak.

The virus is thought to have emerged late last year in a Wuhan market illegally trading wildlife. It can cause pneumonia and spreads between people in droplets from coughs and sneezes.

It has created alarm because it is spreading quickly and there are still important unknowns surrounding it, such as its death rate and whether it is able to spread before any symptoms show.

As of Sunday, coronavirus or Covid-19 has affected 188 countries and territories around the world and one international conveyance, the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship harboured in Yokohama of Japan.